When our parents and grandparents were children, a cup of cocoa or warm milk were the bedtime drinks of choice. And many people still swear by this as a way to help them get to sleep.
But, with more people now choosing to avoid milk for health and other reasons, it’s good to know that there are delicious, ethical alternatives that can help you to unwind before bed.
Herbal teas contain a blend of herbs and flowers that are carefully chosen for their
wellbeing properties and clean, fresh taste. They do not contain caffeine, which makes them ideal as a bedtime drink, and there are so many different blends to choose from that you are bound to find one that you love.
We admit to being a little bit biased here as we have our own fabulous herbal tea blends
which we all adore as a bedtime drink. They are packed full of herbal goodies including
some of the favourites for supporting relaxation and promoting sleepiness. These include:
- Valerian which is sometimes referred to as “nature’s Valium” for its mildly sedative properties (the herb interacts with gamma-aminobutyric acid which helps regulate nerve impulses in the brain and nervous system). Valerian has been used since ancient times to promote relaxation. It can help people drift off to sleep without waking up feeling groggy.
- Passionflower, a vine that has traditionally been used to help people to unwind
before going to bed.
- Chamomile which is one of the most well-known herbs for calming and soothing the mind.
- Lavender, which supports relaxation and peaceful sleep.
- Hop flowers which are a natural sedative, helping to calm the body and mind after a stressful day. Also said to reduce anxiety and promote restful sleep.
There are lots of other yummy ingredients besides which gives these teas their gorgeous
scent and flavour. A little tip to help you enjoy your tea at its best is to make sure you allow it to steep for four to five minutes so that all of the flavour comes out. And using filtered water will complement the flavour beautifully.
Sit back, sip and prepare to sleep well…
For more great tips on getting a good night’s sleep browse our Blog categories: Live – for general lifestyle advice; Sleep – for specific information about sleeping and the conditions needed for good quality sleep; and Relax – for information to help you unwind and quieten your busy mind. Also check out our Product pages for tried and trusted products to help you sleep.