Have you noticed how certain aromas evoke powerful memories or generate particular feelings or emotions? That’s because smells travel directly to the brain’s limbic system where memories and emotions are controlled.
A lifeline for mums
Aromatherapy uses oils extracted from certain plants and flowers (essential oils) as the basis for healing and health promotion. It is a therapeutic approach dating back thousands of years to the Romans and Ancient Egyptians, but for modern-day mums who are struggling with sleep and relaxation, aromatherapy continues to offer a lifeline.
Improve sleep and relieve stress
Studies have shown that essential oils can improve sleep and relieve stress and anxiety. Try adding a few drops to your bath or using a diffuser to disperse the oils.
If you are experiencing sleep problems, you might want to try:
- Lavender oil which is the most popular essential oil for helping people to fall asleep due to its calming, sedative qualities. It can also be beneficial for depression and anxiety.
- Jasmine which can improve the quality of sleep and reduce night-time restlessness.
- Vanilla which calms the nervous system and lowers blood pressure.
- Rose and geranium which not only reduce anxiety and stress but smell absolutely gorgeous mixed together.
- Sandalwood which has an exotic woody aroma and has been used as a sedative for generations. Use with care, however, as some people become more alert when exposed to Sandalwood rather than getting sleepy.
For more great tips on getting a good night’s sleep browse our Blog categories: Live – for general lifestyle advice; Sleep – for specific information about sleeping and the conditions needed for good quality sleep; and Relax – for information to help you unwind and quieten your busy mind. Also check out our Product pages for tried and trusted products to help you sleep.